Buying your first propertyHow can chartered surveyors help when buying your first property?
Buying your first home can be quite daunting. It’s probably the most expensive purchase you’ll ever make and sometimes the process doesn’t always run smoothly. It can also be a very exciting time, especially if you’ve found your dream house or flat. There are lots of different things to juggle when buying a property and the house survey is just one of these factors.
Once your offer has been accepted, it’ll be time to get a house survey carried out on the property. This is to check that the home you’re buying is worth what you’re paying for it. A house survey should also alert you to any potential problems with the building’s interior or exterior.
A survey could save you a great deal of money in the long run, so it’s an important part of the home buying process. When choosing a house surveyor, make sure they are registered with the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). This is the world’s leading professional body for qualifications and standards in land, property and construction.View Homebuyer Surveys
- Pre appoint professional advisers and prime them with your intentions this way you will come across as a serious credible buyer.
- Draw up a shopping list of features in priority order and check off each house against this list to ensure it genuinely fits your requirements.
- Location is important. You can change the house but not the location.
- Visit the house regularly at different times of the day and sit outside or stroll around the neighbourhood to get a feel for the locations at different times.
- Build a good rapport with the Estate Agent and the vendor they will then go the extra distance to help when things go wobbly.
- Don’t be pressured into a purchase. Trust your gut instinct. If in doubt talk to a trusted friend and get good professional advice.
- A health check survey will help put your mind at ease. You can either revisit the price if there are serious issues or at least be aware of the need for future expenditure.
25 years of experience & RICS accredited
We have over 25 years’ experience dealing with residential and commercial properties.
I chose Stuart Scotland. Stuart was very efficient: he called me on the day I visited the website and conducted the survey the next day. He sent me the report the day after. His report gave me a good idea of the condition and value of the property as well as things I had to watch out for. I will use his services again.
–Alice, South Kensington
ALEXANDER SCOTLAND responded to my request for a Surveyor within an hour. The quick service and the fact that he was the lowest price on the list was enough for me to select him. He did the survey the following Monday and sent me his report a few days later.
–Amir, London W3